Forest, Beach and Eco School
Welcome to Forest School, this is where the journey begins... and like any great story we enter slowly through the big wooden gate and down into the deep, deep, deep forest.
At East Preston Infant School we have a practical, hands on approach to learning and we take every opportunity to take the curriculum outside, using our outdoor classrooms and Forest School areas.
Forest School is an inspirational process:
- It offers ALL learners regular opportunities to achieve and develop confidence and self-esteem through hands-on learning experiences in a woodland or natural environment with trees.
- Forest School is a specialised learning approach that sits within and compliments the wider context of outdoor and woodland education.
In Forest School we take the learning outside and use the natural environment to enhance our topics. During Forest School sessions the children take part in many different activities and learn new skills:
- Storytelling and writing
- Whittling of willow (fine motor skills)
- Creating and building structures (gross motor skills)
- Problem solving
- Working independently
- Team work
- Confidence and self-esteem building
- Fire building and fire safety
- Using potato peelers and palm drills
- Music - creating instruments
- Den and shelter making
- East Preston Infant School Forest School Information Booklet for Parents
- Click here to view the grown ups day at Forest School!
- To find out more information about Forest Schools, please click here
- Would you like to book a regular Forest School Session - please click here
Beach School uses the same philosophy and approach as Forest School but in a different setting. We are fortunate to have easy access to the local beach and therefore make use of this wonderful learning resource. Read below to find out more.
This is where the journey begins...... the sound of a bird calling overhead; the seagull looking for something tasty to eat. The big blue ocean is waving at us and the crabs are coming to say hello. The adventure, imaginations and experiences are about to start at the beach.
The children learn about, and are encouraged to care for and use, the school grounds and local environment through a cross-curricular approach. They are taught the value of reducing, reusing and recycling.
Children also learn about global environmental issues and the part they can play in making our world a better place for everyone.
The school has achieved the Green Flag which is the highest accolade, in recognition of its work on environmental issues. The school has also achieved Fairtrade accreditation. The assessors wrote:
"We would like to congratulate you for all the time and effort that has been invested in environmental education at your school. Your award is well deserved and reflects the hard work the school has put into the programme so far. Well done East Preston Infants School! It is clearly embedded in the curriculum and a way of life in the school. The roles and responsibilities undertaken by these infant aged pupils are to be commended and are a fine example of how infant aged pupils can be fully engaged with Eco-Schools activities. They should be congratulated on their capacity to continue to drive the sustainability agenda forward and in developing the global perspective through becoming a 'Fairtrade School'. Well done to the whole school on all their hard work and achievements."